Fingerprints place suspects at scene where WWII vet was beaten

SPOKANE, Wash. - Belton murder new evidence

Fingerprints found on Delbert Belton's car link two teen murder suspects to the scene where the WWII vet was found beaten and left for dead last month.

Forensic specialists lifted fingerprints from Belton's Ford Contour and found two prints that match those of Demetrius Glenn and another print that matched one of Kenan Adams-Kinard's fingerprints.

Glenn and Adams-Kinard, who made their first appearance in Spokane Superior Court Thursday, are facing now facing conspiracy to commit robbery charges, in addition to first degree robbery and murder charges for the killing of Belton, who was found badly beaten inside his car and rushed to Sacred Heart Medical Center where he later died of his injuries.

Court documents filed Wednesday indicate that Adams-Kinard admitted to the attack on Delbert "Shorty" Belton to several juvenile friends in the hours before police located him and took him into custody at 530 W. Montgomery on August 26, five days after the attack on Shorty.

Juveniles who were with Adams-Kinard at the Montgomery residence in the hours prior to his residence said that he claimed the attack followed what he claimed to have been a drug deal gone wrong with the 87-year-old veteran, who was waiting in his car near the Eagles Lodge at 6321 N. Addison for a friend when he was attack.

Adams-Kinard told the juveniles, who were taken into custody for questioning after his arrest on August 26, that he was trying to buy an ounce of crack from "Shorty" and that the elderly man tried to rip him off. The response from the two teens was to attack him, take his wallet and fled from the scene in opposite directions.

However, there has been no evidence recovered by police to indicate the WWII veteran was dealing drugs, an assertion widely condemned by his closest friends, many of whom who had known Belton for more than a decade.

Furthermore, Adams-Kinard's statement about he and Glenn taking off in opposite directions after leaving Belton severely beaten and wedged into his car isn't consistent with witness statements, one of whom was a friend of Belton's, who found him dying in his car and saw the teens run from the scene heading west on foot away from the Eagles Ice Arena.

Surveillance video taken from multiple locations, including Lowe's, Jack In The Box, Arby's and Aces Casino in the minutes before and after the attack on Belton showed the two teens, positively identified by multiple individuals, including Spokane County Juvenile Detention Center employees as well as a number of anonymous tipsters, who called police and identified Glenn and Adams-Kinard in photos that were released to the local news media.

Glenn, through his attorney, surrendered to Spokane Police detectives the day after the attack. When he was taken into custody and read his rights, Glenn was asked to stand up by a detective so he could see what Glenn was wearing, he made the unsolicited comment that, "these are not the shorts from the video."

Adams-Kinard, who wasn't arrested until August 26, furthered his claim about what happened the evening of August 21 by writing a letter, with the help of several juveniles at the Montgomery residence, explaining his version of the events surrounding the attack on Shorty. The letter, signed by "Kenan Kinard," claimed that Glenn and Adams-Kinard had used the bathroom at Lowe's and then went to meet Shorty at the Eagles Ice Arena to purchase drugs from him. The writer of the note then claimed they -- Glenn and Adams-Kinard -- "proceeded to sock him" and then opened up the door to his car and "socked him two more times. I took his wallet and another ounce of crack from his pockets. He was unconscious so I made sure he was still breathing, and then I took off."

According to the letter allegedly written by Adams-Kinard with assistance from several juveniles, who later admitted they knew he was wanted by police before he arrived at the Montgomery residence where he was later arrested, the suspects "socked" Belton three times. The Spokane Medical Examiner's Office said, however, in its autopsy report on Belton that he died as a result of multiple facial fractures, resulting in substantial blood loss, with blunt force trauma being the cause of death.

Both teens made court appearances by video conference Thursday, where their defense attorneys did not attempt to lower the bail for the juveniles, who are currently being held in juvenile detention.

If the families of Adams-Kinard and Glenn are not able to raise the money to get them out, it is likely they will remain in the juvenile detention center until they go to trial for Belton's killing.