SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane detectives are investigating a murder-suicide in North Spokane near the Shadle Park Shopping Center.
The shooting happened around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday near Broad Avenue and A Street.
At 7:28 police received a 9-1-1 call.
"A male who stated he just killed his wife and that he was going to do the same thing to himself," Spokane Police Captain Brad Arleth said.Murder suicide
The man told the 9-1-1 operator his wife was terminally ill and wanted to end her suffering. He added that he was about to kill himself.
Police and hostage negotiators went to the couple's house, in hopes of preventing the man from killing himself. No one answered the door.
"In looking through some of the open windows, did discover two deceased individuals inside with a firearm on the floor near the bodies," Capt. Arleth said.
A neighbor called the elderly man who lived at the residence "a very good man." The couple had been married more than 60 years.
"It's sad, it's surprising and it shouldn't have happened," neighbor Dixie Black said.
"It's a very sad and tragic situation, certainly for the victims, family a lot of the neighbors have been very shocked to hear this," Arleth added.
Investigators haven't released the couple's names. An autopsy was being performed on the couple Tuesday afternoon.
- Airmen blocked access to Trump's inauguration by protesters
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time