Ryan Sutherland is a successful student at Whitworth University in Spokane thanks to his roommate: his dad.
Ryan is a quadriplegic with muscular dystrophy and his dad, Steve, stays with him in a dorm room to help feed and care for him and get him to classes.
The father and son from Cashmere have been at Whitworth since 2009. Steve Sutherland works weekends and vacations as a pharmacist in Leavenworth.
The Wenatchee World reports Ryan graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology on May 13. He'll continue another semester to finish his theology minor and earn a certificate of ministry.
- Man found dead in downtown Spokane parking lot
- Riverfront Park construction progresses
- Study shows Spokane Police Department needs more officers
- Mom of son with rare disease says healthcare decision is about more than 'politics'
- Summer thunderstorms leave a mess for some residents around region
- Airman found dead in dorm at Fairchild