SPOKANE, Wash. - Wildlife officers are hunting a cougar that fatally attacked a horse near Deer Lake, about 30 miles north of Spokane.
State Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Pam Taylor said the horse suffered severe front leg injuries Tuesday and had to be euthanized.
Taylor told The Spokesman-Review a tracker with hounds was called in Wednesday but was unsuccessful. If caught, the cougar will be killed.
Taylor says the cougar apparently was drawn to the lake from higher elevations because of extremely dry conditions.
The cougar also was spotted at Camp Gifford, a Salvation Army retreat near Deer Lake. Camp director Jeff Potts say teenage campers were moved closer to buildings for safety.
- 4 Things To Know For Tuesday, April 25
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image