A car explosion in the Garland District sent a father and his three-year-old daughter to the hospital on Sunday afternoon.
The man was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle in critical condition while the young girl is being treated at Sacred Heart Medical Center in serious condition.
The explosion happened near Garland and Howard shortly after 2:15 p.m. The man and his daughter had just gotten into the car and had only driven a couple blocks when the car exploded. People in the area then rushed to their aid.
Witnesses say the car explosion was very loud, powerful and shook everything. Car parts were spread out all over the street and some even landed on the rooftop of a nearby apartment complex.
"Just heard a big expolsion, it shook us and immediately looked back and there was debris up in the air probably ten feet," Asa Manchan, who was nearby when the explosion went off, said.
At this time police say the explosion appears to be accidental. The Fire Marshall will do a complete investigation and determine a cause.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives