A car explosion in the Garland District sent a father and his three-year-old daughter to the hospital on Sunday afternoon.
The man was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle in critical condition while the young girl is being treated at Sacred Heart Medical Center in serious condition.
The explosion happened near Garland and Howard shortly after 2:15 p.m. The man and his daughter had just gotten into the car and had only driven a couple blocks when the car exploded. People in the area then rushed to their aid.
Witnesses say the car explosion was very loud, powerful and shook everything. Car parts were spread out all over the street and some even landed on the rooftop of a nearby apartment complex.
"Just heard a big expolsion, it shook us and immediately looked back and there was debris up in the air probably ten feet," Asa Manchan, who was nearby when the explosion went off, said.
At this time police say the explosion appears to be accidental. The Fire Marshall will do a complete investigation and determine a cause.
- Unity in the Community brings Spokane together to celebrate diversity
- Felons finding new purpose in life at Family of Faith Community Church
- Leukemia survivor meets blood donor for first time
- Parents fearful about children outdoors without glasses during eclipse
- Scavenger hunt for eclipse glasses causes frenzy around town
- Homes briefly evacuated as fire burns near Colville