SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - Police in Northern California shot and killed a man who attacked officers with a metal rake in the backyard of a home in Santa Cruz.
The Santa Cruz Police Department says a resident of the house called police Sunday to report a man "pounding" on his front door. While officers were in route, the resident called police a second time and said the man was now at the back door of the residence and yelling he wanted to kill everyone inside.
Officials say that while trying to take the man into custody, he attacked the officers with a metal bow rake.
The department says officers ordered the man to drop the rake and used Tasers but were not able to stop him. As he continued to attack the officers with the rake, one of the officers shot and killed him. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. Police didn't release his name.
- Preparing for potential flooding
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods