SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Police Bomb Squad successfully detonated what turned out to be a bong found in an alley south of Wellesley Avenue and Mayfair Street near NorthTown Mall Tuesday.
The device, originally suspected to be a pipe bomb, was described as a section of black PVC pipe with white end caps on it.
A passerby saw it leaning against the wall of a business and called authorities.
Police cordoned off the immediate vicinity and the bomb squad went in and rendered the device harmless by blowing it up.
People who lived across the alley from where the device was located were told to stay inside during the investigation.
Tuesday afternoon, police confirmed the device they blew up was not a pipe bomb after all but rather a "piece of drug paraphernalia associated with marijuana."
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position