SPOKANE - Bloomsday 2013, as is the case with years past, is bigger and better than ever. Along with the tradition this year though, came more security.
More than 50,000 people will be running the Bloomsday course. Countless more will be watching but this year they were not allowed to be at the starting line.
Backpacks were not allowed at the race this year. That included Camelbacks and other backpack style hydration systems. Small hip packs with water were allowed.
Spectators were still allowed at the finish line to cheer on the thousands of Bloomsday runners as they finished the 12k race.
The Bloomsday winners are as follows:
Women: Belete Assefa - Ethiopia
Men: Buzunesh Deba - Ethiopia
Women's Wheelchair Division: Susannah Scaroni (local)
Men's Wheelchair Division: Scott Parson (back-to-back wins)
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties