SPOKANE, Wash. - The scene is clear after law enforcement officials surrounded a home in the 800 block of South Adams on the lower South Hill Tuesday night searching for an escaped Geiger inmate.
South Adams was closed down between the 800 and 900 blocks during the operation, but quickly reopened after a search of the home revealed the man was not there.
Federal and local law enforcement agencies were following up on a tip received Sunday night that escaped Geiger inmate Michael Wheeler could be inside the house on South Adams.Authorities, searching for Geiger escapee, surround South Hill home
Four people were detained; there's no word on what their alleged connection was to Wheeler.
Mark Gregory with the Spokane County Sheriff's Department said they will continue to look for Wheeler until they find him.
"We have had some pretty good calls from citizens and stuff wanting to help out and hopefully one of those tips turns out to be Mr. Wheeler," he said.
Wheeler, 38, was last seen by Geiger staff between 5:35 and 5:55 p.m. Sunday in the kitchen at Geiger Corrections Center.
Spokane County Sheriff's patrol deputies, K9s and other law enforcement agencies responded to the area, set up a perimeter and conducted a search but were unable to locate him.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line