SPOKANE, Wash. - A sexual abuse victim of a priest has filed a lawsuit against the Catholic dioceses of Yakima and Spokane.
The lawsuit filed in Spokane County Superior Court Tuesday contends that beginning in 1961, Father Joseph Sondergeld sexually abused the victim at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Roslyn, Washington.
The victim was nine years old when the abuse began.
The lawsuit contends the Spokane Diocese knew Sondergeld's past abuse of children and failed to report him to the authorities. The Spokane Diocese instead transferred Sondergeld to the Yakima Diocese.
The priest died in 1969.
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'