A fast moving three alarm fire in North Spokane destroyed a medical building, patient records and thousands of dollars worth of equipment.
The fire started at about 4:00 Friday evening at Mayfair Professional Building at 5901 N. Mayfair.
The fire broke out in the crawlspace and initially crews went in, trying to extinguish the fire. But, once they started to ventilate the building to get to the fire, the fire blossomed, and crews evacuated the building.
"All of a sudden we started seeing conditions worsening, the smoke started changing color on us, started coming out under pressure that tells us we have more active burning occurring," Spokane Fire Chief Bobby Williams said.
"The challenge that we have is that the basement division, we divide the building into divisions, the basement division continued to see no fire with the type of construction we have. We felt like the fire was between the floors and was moving between the floors," he added.
The fire spread up a wall and into the attic.
Dr. Jeff Henneberg, who had a dental practice in the building, arrived as flames started shooting through the roof.
"I don't think you can ever prepared for something like this," Dr. Jeff Henneberg said.
When he first arrived, he warned firefighters about nitrous oxide tanks inside.
Fortunately, the tanks did not explode.
Now, Dr. Henneberg is focused on his patients.
"Immediately thought about my patients on Monday morning. I don't know how to contact them, don't know who I'm seeing exactly," he added.
If you are a patient of Dr. Henneberg's call his normal office number to reschedule your appointment.
The fire is now under investigation.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car