SPOKANE, Wash. - UPDATE: 29-year-old Heather Hope was killed as a result of severe skull fractures and brain lacerations as a result of crushing force, according to the Spokane County Medical Examiner's office.
EARLIER: A two vehicle crash in Spokane killed one person and injured two more, including a baby.
Spokane police officers found a woman dead at the scene when they responded to the 3 p.m. call at the intersection of Garland and Nevada. They say she was the passenger in an SUV that flipped. The male driver and a baby in the backseat were taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
Police say the SUV was north bound on Nevada Street when it was hit by a Ford Taurus trying to cross Nevada on Garland.
Cpl. Van Tassel said the SUV flipped, killing the woman and injuring the man and baby. The driver of the SUV was not injured.
"It was heavy, congested traffic. It's just a reminder to stay vigilant, stay slow and watch all of your side streets as you're traveling," Van Tassel said.
Police say drug recognition experts were called out to the crash. They evaluated the drivers of both vehicles and determined neither were impaired.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday