SPOKANE, Wash. - A man who was trapped in a burning Spokane home is fighting for his life at a Seattle hospital with burns over 65 percent of his body.
Fire officials said Shawn Apperson, 28, was trapped in a bedroom basement of his home Tuesday after helping his fiance and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. He didn't fit through the window and was later found by firefighters.
Firefighters and neighbors also rescued three other children from the home in the Hillyard neighborhood.
Fire Chief Bobby Williams told The Spokesman-Review the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.
Apperson is in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'