SPOKANE, Wash. - A family of six was seriously hurt in a house fire in northeast Spokane Tuesday morning. The father, 28 year old Shawn Apperson, is now at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, with 3rd degree burns over 70 percent of his body.
Apperson's brother, Christopher, says Apperson was burned saving his wife and four children from the flames. The children range in age from newborn to 5 years old.
The fire started just before 7 a.m. Tuesday in the basement of their home in the 2600 block of East Central Avenue.
Apperson and one of his children were trapped inside and had to be rescued by firefighters.
The children and Apperson's wife were treated for smoke inhalation, but should be okay.
No firefighters were hurt and now they're trying to figure out what sparked the fire.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home