AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Wash. - Fairchild Air Force Base confirmed Monday afternoon that Skyfest 2013 has been canceled due to lack of funding due to sequestration.
The air base said last Friday that Skyfest might be canceled due to the sequestration, and that became a reality after the Air Force directed that all open house and air shows be canceled.
Skyfest was also canceled in 2012 due to budget constraints as well.
The Air Force Thunderbirds, the headlining act at this year's Skyfest, previously announced they were canceling all performances after April 1 due to lack of funding.
The cancellation of the annual air show is just one notch in the tightening of Fairchild's budget belt, which includes furloughs of 460 civilian employees at the air base for up to 22 days between April and September and curtailing of non-mission related programs which could involve flight hours, maintenance and planned facility upgrades.
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Naked man arrested in community college women's bathroom
- 4 Things to Know for April 28th
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land