WINTHROP, Wash. - A 76-year-old Shoreline man died while swimming northeast of Winthrop.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers says Charles J. Covello had gone for a short dip Saturday afternoon in Pearrygin Lake when a witness saw him struggle and go under water.
Rogers says a diver and a snorkeler at the lake retrieved Covello after he had been under water 5 or 10 minutes.
The Wenatchee World reports two vacationing emergency medical technicians who happened to be at the lake performed CPR immediately but were unable to revive him.
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position
- National Weather Service issues Ice Storm Warning for Grant County
- Thousands turn out for MLK march