SPOKANE, Wash. - Two Spokane County deputies will not face charges for an incident at Oz Fitness on the South Hill in June 2013.
Deputies Shawn Audie and Steve Paynter were involved in an altercation with Will Berger. Berger, who had been mumbling to himself and acting violent inside the gym, was tased three times, then tried to use that taser on deputies and was placed in what police call a lateral vascular neck restraint.
That's when deputies noticed he stopped breathing. He later died.
After a review of the investigation into the incident the prosecutor's office recommended no criminal charges be brought against Audie and Paynter.
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River
- Trinity Catholic School breaks ground on new facillity