SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane Police Lieutenant had his leg broken while trying to take a suspect into custody Tuesday afternoon at the Texaco at Indiana and Ash in Spokane.
Officers were called to the gas station to take in a 31-year-old mental health patient who was acting up. Drug use was also suspected.
He wasn't cooperating with officers, and during the struggle, the lieutenant was injured.
The identity of the lieutenant has not yet been released, but we do know he's a veteran with the department and is being treated at a local hospital for his injuries.
The suspect has been charged with second degree assault and will be booked into the Spokane County Jail.
- UPDATE: Man charged with Newman Lake woman's death
- Spokane family searches for stolen heirlooms and antiques
- Excelsior to offer socialization opportunities for seniors
- Red Lion Hotel builds giant gingerbread house
- Police investigating possible homicide in Newman Lake
- Coeur d'Alene's 26th Annual Holiday Light Show begins on Friday