PORTLAND, Ore. - A police officer shot during a traffic stop in Rainier, Oregon, is reported in fair condition at a Portland hospital.
Authorities say Officer Russell George was shot Monday by a motorist he stopped on U.S. Highway 30. The bullet went through the Rainier officer's hand and hit his chest, which was protected by a bulletproof vest.
The suspect was found dead hours later near Clatskanie, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He has not been identified.
Rainier is a city of 1,900 residents northwest of Portland.
Three years ago, police Chief Ralph Painter was fatally shot after responding to a report of a suspicious person at a car stereo shop.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position