EUGENE, Ore. - A woman accused in the kidnapping and killing of a man whose car was stolen for use in a Lane County bank robbery has pleaded guilty to murder and other charges.
The Eugene Register-Guard reports the plea means 19-year-old Mercedes Leeann Crabtree no longer faces the possibility of the death penalty at sentencing, scheduled next week. Two more suspects face trial next year.
Crabtree was accused in the death of 22-year-old Celestino Gutierrez in August.
Court documents show Crabtree told detectives she took Gutierrez from a Eugene tavern to the home of another suspect before a bank robbery in western Lane County.
Authorities say the three suspects drove the car to the robbery and then abandoned it. The body of Gutierrez was found buried in rural Lane County.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home