VANCOUVER, Wash. - A woman who died in a house fire Friday in Vancouver perished from inhaling smoke.
She was identified by the Clark County medical examiner's office on Monday as 58-year-old Donna M. Franchino of Vancouver. The office says her death from smoke inhalation was an accident.
The Columbian reports a neighbor heard an alarm and saw flames in the house.
Neighbors say Franchino's son tried to break in with an ax to save his mother who was trapped in a bedroom of the single-family home.
It was still in flames when firefighters cut a hole in the wall to rescue her, but she did not survive.
- CDA students fuse technology, creativity and garner international attention
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car