OLYMPIA, Wash. - South Puget Sound Community College says it was a mistake for an employee group to invite only people of color to a diversity "happy hour."
The Dean of College Relations, Kellie Purce Braseth told KING the group that sent out the email last week apologized the next day and canceled the event.
She says the college believes the best way to celebrate and discuss diversity is to include everyone.
A coordinator for the school's Diversity and Equity Center, Karama Blackhorn, said the invitation could have been worded differently, but she maintains staff members of color would have a more honest discussion about race without white employees.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River