WEST GLACIER, Mont. - A Washington state woman died a day after slipping and falling into a creek in Glacier National Park.
Park officials say 33-year-old Abigail Sylvester of Buckley, Washington, was believed to be taking pictures Saturday afternoon when she slipped and fell into the fast-moving McDonald Creek. Her husband was unable to rescue her due to the deep and fast-moving water. She was carried over lower McDonald Creek Falls, a drop of about 30 feet, and located about a half mile downstream.
A volunteer firefighter waded into the creek and retrieved the woman and he, his son, other visitors and park rangers performed CPR.
Sylvester was airlifted to Kalispell Regional Medical Center. Park spokeswoman Denise Germann says the woman died Sunday of drowning.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home