OLYMPIA, Wash. - A South Bend woman who left her newborn baby in an Olympia hospital trash can was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Jasmin Ritchey had pleaded guilty in Thurston County Superior Court to child assault.
According to reports, Ritchey tearfully apologized before her sentencing Thursday and said she can never forgive herself. The 24-year-old is barred from ever having contact with the boy.
Ritchey went to Providence St. Peter Hospital in July 2011 for an unrelated medical complaint without saying she was pregnant. She gave birth in a restroom and left the baby in the trash can.
Hospital staff members found and resuscitated the boy. Deputy Prosecutor John Skinder said the boy was born with a brain bleed and addiction to prescription medication, but he's doing better.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting