Hamilton, MT - Officials with the Valley Veterans Service Center in Hamilton say a former employee who was charged last week with making threats against President Barack Obama may have taken veterans' records home with him.
Program coordinator Matt Getz tells KECI-TV that the center is working with the Department of Veterans Affairs general counsel in Washington, D.C., to retrieve those files.
Getz says former claims agent Dan Rachell of Darby had power of attorney and is believed to have taken 300 to 400 claims for disability compensation, pension or health care benefits home with him on the first day of an internal investigation into the way Rachell was treating clients.
Getz says the center is working with VA attorneys to revoke Rachell's power of attorney and have the files returned. No charges have been filed related to the files.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday