SEATTLE - The University of Washington has been ordered on Friday to pay $15.2 million in a medical malpractice judgment after a mistake in 2008 caused debilitating brain damage to a girl.
The Seattle Times reports the sum is one of the largest payments in state history.
Friday's ruling comes from the case of MacKenzie Briant, who five years ago was being treated for a heart defect at Seattle Children's hospital. After she got a cold, her mother consulted with doctors who had treated her, but miscommunication between them led a prescription of a nasal spray that blocked MacKenzie's breathing.
The prolonged lack of oxygen caused brain damage and she will need round-the-clock care for the rest of her life.
The UW does not plan to appeal the ruling. The money is coming from insurance
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday