Portland, OR - Oregon State Police say a man who died Thursday afternoon after exchanging shots with a trooper along Interstate 84 was hit by the trooper.
On Thursday, officers had said it wasn't clear whether the man was hit by the trooper's bullet or committed suicide.
The news Friday came as the agency reported a second shooting involving a trooper, this one near Sisters. The police say a driver who fled Friday morning died after shots were fired.
Police said autopsy results from the Thursday shooting showed 34-year-old John Van Allen II suffered a single gunshot wound, to the chest.
The wounded trooper was identified Friday as 26-year-old Matthew Zistel. He was treated for a minor wound and released.
Van Allen's three children were placed in state custody.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home