Roseburg, OR - A new trial date has been scheduled for a man accused of faking his death in a fishing accident 15 years ago to avoid a trial on child sex-abuse charges.
The Roseburg News-Review reports Daniel Chafe will be tried on charges of rape, sexual abuse and sodomy beginning Sept. 3 in Douglas County. He has pleaded not guilty.
Chafe was arrested this winter in Montana, where he had been living under a different name.
The FBI said that during the 1990s Chafe was recruiting girls between of the ages of 14 and 16 to form what he dubbed the "Cobalt Clan." The FBI alleged that his goal was to have sex with the girls in order to produce a large number of children over which he could rule.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting