BAINBRIDGE ISLAND, Wash. - A woman is sitting on a platform 70 feet up a tree in an attempt to stop developers from cutting trees for a mall on Bainbridge Island.
Chiara D'Angelo climbed to her perch early Monday and told the Kitsap Sun she was comfortable with the idea of being arrested for trespassing.
The 19-year-old is a 2013 Bainbridge High School graduate studying environmental justice at Western Washington University.
The developer plans to cut about 800 trees for an 8-acre shopping center.
Bainbridge Island Police Chief Matthew Hamner says he hopes to resolve the situation without an arrest.
- Potholes keeping Spokane crews busy
- Federal judge says he is inclined to let lawsuit proceed
- Senator to reporter: "None of your business" when education plan will be ready
- Stripper pleads guilty to running multi-state drug ring
- Study: Idaho natural gas and oil taxes below many states
- I-90 semi crash closes westbound lanes