BAINBRIDGE ISLAND, Wash. - A woman is sitting on a platform 70 feet up a tree in an attempt to stop developers from cutting trees for a mall on Bainbridge Island.
Chiara D'Angelo climbed to her perch early Monday and told the Kitsap Sun she was comfortable with the idea of being arrested for trespassing.
The 19-year-old is a 2013 Bainbridge High School graduate studying environmental justice at Western Washington University.
The developer plans to cut about 800 trees for an 8-acre shopping center.
Bainbridge Island Police Chief Matthew Hamner says he hopes to resolve the situation without an arrest.
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'