GIG HARBOR, Wash. - Authorities say a 2-year-old was abandoned over the weekend at a gas station near Tacoma.
The News Tribune reports an employee at a Gig Harbor-area gas station called 911 Sunday after noticing a toddler left alone in a car parked by the gas pumps.
Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says a deputy found the child sleeping in the back seat.
Troyer says the deputy saw drug paraphernalia and apparent heroin residue in the vehicle.
The deputy called Child Protective Services and was connected with the child's grandmother, who came to the scene.
Troyer says the girl was placed in foster care and the family has had contact with the mother, who has not been arrested.
The case will be forwarded to prosecutors for possible charges.
- Airmen blocked access to Trump's inauguration by protesters
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time