BURNS, Ore. - Oregon State Police say a 14-year-old boy in Burns died after he bicycled downhill and through a stop sign at the main highway through town, and then ran into the side of a semitrailer.
The police identified him as Jonathan Ptacek.
A statement said the truck's tires rolled over him Wednesday afternoon on U.S. 20, and he was declared dead after he was flown to the hospital in Bend. Whether he was using a helmet wasn't confirmed.
Investigators said they had no reason to think the driver was at fault. He was identified as 54-year-old William Wiggins of Homedale, Idaho. The police said he didn't know there was an accident until he saw the bicycle in his mirror.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter