BURNS, Ore. - Oregon State Police say a 14-year-old boy in Burns died after he bicycled downhill and through a stop sign at the main highway through town, and then ran into the side of a semitrailer.
The police identified him as Jonathan Ptacek.
A statement said the truck's tires rolled over him Wednesday afternoon on U.S. 20, and he was declared dead after he was flown to the hospital in Bend. Whether he was using a helmet wasn't confirmed.
Investigators said they had no reason to think the driver was at fault. He was identified as 54-year-old William Wiggins of Homedale, Idaho. The police said he didn't know there was an accident until he saw the bicycle in his mirror.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position