CHEHALIS, Wash. - Lewis County authorities say the 17-year-old who drowned while swimming with friends Saturday afternoon in the Chehalis River at Rainbow Falls State Park was a Nigerian who moved to Washington eight months ago.
He was identified by the coroner as Linsey Mike. His parents live in Tacoma.
The sheriff's office says the group of friends was camping and decided to go swimming.
The Chronicle reports Mike said he was not a good swimmer but jumped in the water anyway. He surfaced with arms flailing in the swift, cold current.
A 19-year-old woman jumped in after him but he went under water and did not resurface. Searchers found his body the next day.
The coroner ruled the death an accidental drowning.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River