CHEHALIS, Wash. - Lewis County authorities say the 17-year-old who drowned while swimming with friends Saturday afternoon in the Chehalis River at Rainbow Falls State Park was a Nigerian who moved to Washington eight months ago.
He was identified by the coroner as Linsey Mike. His parents live in Tacoma.
The sheriff's office says the group of friends was camping and decided to go swimming.
The Chronicle reports Mike said he was not a good swimmer but jumped in the water anyway. He surfaced with arms flailing in the swift, cold current.
A 19-year-old woman jumped in after him but he went under water and did not resurface. Searchers found his body the next day.
The coroner ruled the death an accidental drowning.
- East Sprague reopens to public
- Kidnapping suspect's bond set at $1 million
- Search continues for women who may have been involved in Cheney man's abduction and death
- Freeman students welcomed back to school with open arms
- Rain causes power outages throughout the area
- Student threatens to bring firearm to St. Maries High School