GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A 16-year-old Great Falls boy who had reached a plea agreement in the rape of an 11-year-old girl jumped from the third floor of the Cascade County Courthouse, landing on the tile of the second floor.
Great Falls Police Capt. John Schafer tells the Great Falls Tribune the boy jumped before his change-of-plea hearing Thursday morning. A representative with Benefis Health System said the boy was in critical but stable condition.
The boy and prosecutors had reached a plea agreement recommending a sentence of 60 years in prison with 30 suspended if he entered an Alford plea. Under such a plea, a person does not acknowledge guilt but agrees prosecutors have enough evidence to gain a conviction.
District Judge Greg Pinski rejected the agreement Wednesday. The boy later agreed to plead guilty.
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods
- Police investigate north Spokane shooting