CHEHALIS, Wash. - The Lewis County sheriff's office says it has recovered the body of a 17-year-old Tacoma boy who drowned in the Chehalis River while swimming with friends.
The sheriff's office says the teen was on his first camping trip at Rainbow Falls State Park in Chehalis. The group of friends went swimming Saturday afternoon at the nearby river. The teen, who told friends he wasn't a good swimmer, began flailing after jumping into the water.
Another friend jumped in after him but she wasn't able to reach him before he went under.
Rescuers searched for the boy until dark Saturday but couldn't find him. Rescue teams from Thurston and Lewis Counties returned Sunday morning and located him.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults