TACOMA, Wash. - A 30-year-old Tacoma man who killed his father with a hatchet two years ago will likely spend the rest of his life at Western State Hospital.
A Pierce County judge accepted a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity on Monday from Jonathan Robert Meline. He was charged with murder in the October 2012 slaying of his father Robert.
KOMO reports Jonathan Meline had been diagnosed with mental illness and believed that his father was part of a conspiracy to steal and kill children.
His family had wanted him held at an institution but he was released from Western State early in 2012 after he was found incompetent for trial in a robbery case.
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March
- Thousands turn out for Women's March on Spokane