TACOMA, Wash. - Tacoma police are seeking a burglar who picks homes to rob by going door-to-door with a fake sob-story about a lost dog.
KOMO-TV reports the man has broken into at least six houses in Tacoma in recent weeks. Police say he appears to target retirement communities during daylight hours.
The man uses the story about a lost dog to find out who is home and who isn't. Sometimes he shows a crumpled up picture of his dog he calls "buddy" or "baby."
Police say that when he finds a home where no one answers the door, he breaks in to steal cash or jewelry.
Officers reminded homeowners to make sure their doors and windows are locked when they go out.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March