BOISE, Idaho - Federal safety authorities have fined a southwest Idaho company $77,000 following the deaths of two workers in a trench collapse in Boise.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration on Tuesday issued the fines to Meridian-based Hard Rock Construction.
Thirty-six-year-old Bert Smith and 26-year-old Ernesto Saucedo died when the trench collapsed on May 3 while they worked to install a sewer line.
Federal officials say the company failed to put in safety measures and didn't instruct the employees on methods to eliminate cave-in hazards.
The company declined to comment on Tuesday.
- Security upped following Manito Park shooting
- Safety tips for people heading outdoors over Memorial Day weekend
- Three killed and several injured in Grant County crash
- DUI arrests still high even with millions using ride apps
- Washington second largest wine producing region in U.S.
- City of Spokane launches Fix-it-Fest 2017