KALISPELL, Mont. - The state has tabled plans for a floating boat dock at Wild Horse Island in Flathead Lake following public criticism.
The Flathead Beacon reports that the Montana State Parks agency announced Wednesday that the installation of the public dock is being postponed due to public feelings that it would negatively impact the popular site.
Wild Horse Island draws about 16,000 visitors each year despite not having a public dock anywhere on the 2,163 acre island. According to state officials, more than 60 percent of those visitors access the island through Skeeko Bay, where the dock had been planned.
A total of 101 comments were received about the project and state officials say 81 were in opposition of the project. Most of those opposed said the public would increase human impact and visitation on the island.
- SCRAPS has person of interest in kitten tourture cases
- Inland Northwest prepares for yet another round of snow
- Idaho prepares for slick roads with new de-icer
- Neighbors file lawsuit against Rocket Market
- Police searching for a man who exposed himself at Logan elementary
- City of Spokane readdressing east Spokane garbage routes