OLYMPIA, Wash. - A discarded Starbucks cup helped lead police to a rape suspect in Olympia, Wash.
The paper cup fell out of the attacker's car into a parking lot on Feb. 19 as the woman who said she was accosted fled.
The cup had a sticker with coffee information that revealed it had been bought earlier that day at a Starbucks drive-through in DuPont. Police were able to match surveillance video, leading to the arrest Tuesday of 35-year-old Bryon E. Johnston.
The Olympian reports a judge found probable cause Wednesday to hold Johnston in jail for investigation of kidnapping and rape in the February attack and a similar attack in November on another woman abducted from an Olympia bus stop.
Johnston's defense lawyer, Paul Strophy, declined comment Wednesday.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday