PORTLAND, Ore. - A horse that had to lose 200 pounds before it could join the Portland Police Bureau's Mounted Patrol Unit has collared its first buy guy.
Murphy, carrying Officer Cassandra Wells, chased down a man suspected of breaking into a building last week and kept him trapped next to a building until officers could cuff him.
The Oregonian reports Murphy galloped about six blocks.
Murphy was added to the mounted patrol last year, but when he arrived at the barn he weighed 1,900 pounds, and the unit didn't have a saddle big enough for him.
After losing 200 pounds he went through training and is now on Portland streets.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives