Seaside, OR - Dozens of people carried signs Monday protesting the Oregon Department of Education's Adolescent Sexuality Conference in Seaside.
One sign said, "Please protect your child's innocence."
Protester Mike Kelly told KATU officials should be more accountable to parents about sex education. He says a lot of parents are in the dark about what goes on in public schools.
One conference organizer, Brad Victor of the Oregon Teen Pregnancy Task Force, says the goal is to provide educational resources to teachers and knowledge to young people so they can make healthy choices.
About a quarter of the 300 people at the conference are high school and college students. Anyone under 18 has to have a parent's permission to attend and has to be chaperoned.
The conference continues Tuesday.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line