SEATTLE - A King County Superior Court commissioner has blocked local news media from obtaining surveillance video taken during last month's deadly shooting at Seattle Pacific University.
The Seattle Times reports that Commissioner Carlos Velategui said releasing the video "creates a huge public danger" by telling others how to commit a crime on campus. He issued a restraining order on Thursday.
Lawyers representing the media said news outlets are entitled to the video under the state public records law.
A lawyer representing the victims said the release would violate victims' privacy rights. He says the graphic video shows the gunman shooting students and pointing a firearm at others.
Aaron Rey Ybarra is accused of fatally shooting a 19-year-old student and wounding two others. He has pleaded not guilty.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter