SEATTLE - A statement from Seattle Mayor Ed Murray on Thursday mourned the death of Jim Diers, a former director of Seattle's Department of Neighborhoods.
A few minutes later, a second statement from City Hall said Diers is alive and well.
The seattlepi.com reports the mayor had confused Diers with Joe Dear, a former chief of staff to Gov. Gary Locke and director of the Washington State Investment Board. Dear died of cancer this week at the age of 62.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday