MISSOULA, Mont. - Officials in northwestern Montana are scaling back their search for a 62-year-old Missoula man who drowned in Middle Thompson Lake over the weekend.
Lincoln County officials say Anthony Bachman had apparently been drinking before he fell off a pontoon boat Saturday evening in the lake about 45 miles southeast of Libby. He was not wearing a life jacket and others on the boat were unable to rescue him.
Officials from Flathead County and the Fish, Wildlife and Parks Department had aided in the search, along with divers using sonar and underwater cameras.
Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe tells KECI-TV that deep, murky water and rocky terrain on the bottom of the lake hampered the search.
- 175+ "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday
- 80-year-old woman dies in northern Idaho house fire