ASHFORD, Wash. - Crews were searching at Mount Rainier National Park Friday for a Seattle hiker who was reported missing late Wednesday.
Park spokeswoman Patti Wold says Karen Sykes, an experienced hiker and writer, had adequate survival gear to camp overnight in the event of an emergency. She says Sykes was working on a story at the time. Sykes has written outdoors stories for newspapers.
Wold says Sykes hiked ahead of her partner Wednesday when they reached snow level at an elevation of about 5,000 feet. She was reported overdue several hours later.
Crews are scouring the Owyhigh Lakes area for a second day Friday. Teams may also search by air Friday if weather permits.
In a separate search, an injured climber was airlifted off of Double Peak Thursday after crews responded to a spot locater beacon.
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties