ASHFORD, Wash. - Crews were searching at Mount Rainier National Park Friday for a Seattle hiker who was reported missing late Wednesday.
Park spokeswoman Patti Wold says Karen Sykes, an experienced hiker and writer, had adequate survival gear to camp overnight in the event of an emergency. She says Sykes was working on a story at the time. Sykes has written outdoors stories for newspapers.
Wold says Sykes hiked ahead of her partner Wednesday when they reached snow level at an elevation of about 5,000 feet. She was reported overdue several hours later.
Crews are scouring the Owyhigh Lakes area for a second day Friday. Teams may also search by air Friday if weather permits.
In a separate search, an injured climber was airlifted off of Double Peak Thursday after crews responded to a spot locater beacon.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position