REXBURG, Idaho - The city of Rexburg has settled a lawsuit with the family of an infant who was burned by paramedics.
The Rexburg Standard Journal reports that Londyn Porter suffered second-degree burns in August 2014 when a paramedic applied a Rapid Heat bag on a foil blanket covering the baby. The pack quickly reached 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
Officials say paramedics had run out of the heating bag they normally used and instead used the Rapid Heat bag, which they may not have known heated so quickly. The Madison County Fire Department has since discarded its Rapid Heat bags.
Last week, city officials announced they had settled the lawsuit as well as created what they are calling the "Londyn Porter Policy" which requires all fire department personnel be trained in the uses of heat packs.
- Police arrest convicted felon with citizen's help
- End is in sight for Airway Heights water crisis
- Daughter of Spokane officer charged in kidnapping
- Bicyclist suffers life-threatening injuries after being hit by car
- 3 people shot and wounded in Spokane last weekend
- Arrest of man on mental health hold turns violent