PORTLAND, Ore. - Court records suggest a woman accused of killing one of her two daughters raised them at home with little contact with outsiders.
Forty-year-old Jessica Smith has been charged with killing her 2-year-old daughter and trying to kill her 13-year-old daughter, who was found severely cut last week in a hotel room on the Oregon coast.
The Oregonian reports the 13-year-old didn't enroll in school in Goldendale, Washington, where the family lived for years.
There's no indication Smith filed a homeschool petition required under state law.
A court record of family expenses shows no private school or day care for either daughter.
Smith and her husband, Greg, were divorcing amid a custody dispute.
In his filings, Greg Smith says his wife raised the girls in a reclusive atmosphere.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults