BELLINGHAM, Wash. - Prosecutors say the driver whose truck hit four pedestrians in Bellingham on Monday had a blood alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit.
The Bellingham Herald reports 27-year-old Dustin F. Brown faces charges of vehicular homicide in the death of 37-year-old Dragan Skrobonja, as well as three counts of vehicular assault for the three men he allegedly hit and injured.
Police say Brown's truck also smashed into parked and moving cars as it drove through a downtown filled with people leaving bars early Monday morning.
A man suffered hand and rib injuries in his effort to stop the truck.
At an initial hearing in the Whatcom County Jail courtroom Tuesday, Brown's defense attorney Jim Turner said a mechanical malfunction kept his truck accelerating.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives