Portland, OR - The suicide rate in Portland is three times the national rate, according to a report the Portland Police Bureau is releasing Monday.
KATU reports the rate is about 34 people per 100,000 population.
There were 202 suicides in Portland from April 2011 through June 2013 or about one every four days. There were nearly twice as many suicides as homicides and traffic fatalities combined.
Police are holding a news conference with health professionals to let people know there are options available for people thinking about taking their own lives.
Police respond to almost four attempted suicide calls a day.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line