PORTLAND, Ore. - Police in Portland, Oregon, say an officer shot a man who was a pointing a gun at passing cars on an Interstate 84 offramp Monday.
Sgt. Pete Simpson says the man ran from the freeway after he was struck by a bullet, and he collapsed on a nearby street.
Police negotiators got the man to surrender, and he was taken to a hospital with an injury that's not considered life-threatening.
Simpson says people had called 911 to report that the man appeared to be trying to carjack drivers on the ramp.
Police haven't said if the man's gun was real or a replica.
The state Department of Transportation says the freeway will be closed throughout the afternoon as authorities investigate.
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car
- Spokane has high interest in World Naked Gardening Day